Wednesday, November 3, 2010

HBD, AJ CP


So I thought my 21st birthday was pretty epic, but turns out a birthday celebration from 11-year-old Thai children can rival Ivy Inn karaoke.

I came into school yesterday to find my office and desk covered in balloons, courtesy of my wonderful roommate-coworkers, who also plotted with my 6/1 class last week to have a surprise party. Before class, one of the Thai co-teachers, Aj. Wandee, brought me a chocolate cake that read "Happy Birthday Caitlin, September 2th." (It was close).

I try not to let it go to my head.
At 9am, I had my first class with 6/1. Halfway through the lesson, Khim1 told me she wanted to practice her English Competition speech for the whole class, but that she wanted to do it next door in the stage room. I agreed and we all went next door and let Khim begin speaking. Mid-speech, someone hit the stereo and "Happy Birthday" (chicken dance style) started blasting from the speakers. The entire class filed into the room and onto stage, broke out in a coordinated song and dance number, then turned around and had "H-A-P-P-Y B-I-R-T-H-D-A-Y" spelled out in huge letters on their backs. They presented me with a huge card reading "HBD AJ CP," signed by the whole class.


Gifts galore
Then, as if I wasn't already dying of laughter and gratitude, another group of students came into the room in Snow White costumes and put on a skit about why the Witch was not invited to my birthday party. Next, Khoonsuek and Ka-noon came on stage with their violins and played me "Happy Birthday." Finally, every student pulled out a gift from their pocket or backpack and handed me them one by one - each present more hilarious than the last. I was showered with Santa Claus teddy bears, cell phone key chains, a pot of fake flowers, a snow globe, a Spiderman wallet, a Lion King II book, and an assortment of other adorably random things. We ditched the rest of my lesson plan for the day and ate a delicious cake instead (that read, "From Your Lovely Students").

At night, I went out for dinner with some other farang teachers and a few Thai friends, who treated me to my first pizza in 5 months. Other gifts included an American flag from my Swiss and Belgian friends, and a knit wool scarf from Cho and Orm (because heaven knows, I'll need it when it drops down to 70 degrees here). Really, I got everything I could have ever wanted.

It was a very very happy birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment