Thursday, March 31, 2011

CP in... America???

This comes as my first-ever blog post written from my kitchen counter at home in San Diego.

The 27 hours of flight home were all in all pretty painless. My 5 hour layover at the San Francisco airport, though, was as much of a culture shock as my first month in Thailand. Things like toilet seat covers, automatic sinks, a correct English menu listing items in U.S. dollars, understanding all the multitude of American English conversations going on around me, the sight of my California driver's license, using my credit card (the lady at the coffee counter had to chase me down when I forgot my signature).... Wow! Now I just have to relearn my old phone and right-side-of-the-road traffic patterns, and what it feels like to not sweat at all hours of the day.

While I readjust to some noticeable Asia side effects in the coming weeks (I already forewent my favorite breakfast cereal this morning in favor of fried eggs doused in chili sauce), I will rehash some of the highlights from the past month of Southeast Asia travel adventures. They stretched across the bustling capital city of Thailand to a certain ancient temple complex in Cambodia to the stunning beaches and jungle hills of Indonesia; they involved characters from a bartender named Jack Sparrow to a beach called Senggigi; and more often than not, resulted from some combination of poor trip planning and fortuitous friend-making.

Tune in again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment