Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Excuse Any Typos: I Can't Hear My Own Thoughts

I have been listening to a man yell ("sing") into a microphone to the "tune" of some equally loud and terrible keyboard music for about 4 and a half hours straight. Okay, minus the time it took me to run to the market for dinner.

It appears the house adjacent to ours, where our landlady's "auntie" lives, is having a party of sorts. The grass and concrete outside our apartment is lined with cars - (I could barely get my bike in) - and there are food and people aplenty in their front yard. At first we thought it might be a wake... then it seemed too festive and joyous (perhaps a celebration in honor of the upcoming Buddhist Lent), and we laughed about it and considered joining them.... now I don't really care what it is, I would just like it to stop.

But alas, more cars and motorbikes have arrived than left in the past hour. Moments like these are a reminder that in Thailand, or perhaps in foreign places in general, patience is key. There is the kind of patience that is deliberate - deciding to pause in the middle of a frustrating episode to find some calm and carry on - and then there is the kind of patience that comes from total surrender, to being a stranger in a strange land who simply doesn't have the say or knowledge to change that which is frustrating. It's that latter kind of patience that I'm working on here. Go downstairs and ask them to "keep it down" because I have to get up early tomorrow? No can do. I don't speak enough Thai. And I don't think anyone would care.

All bad Thai singing aside, today was a good day. The weekend brought rain - lots and lots of it. It cooled the air ever so slightly -- enough so that a few of my students were wearing jackets to class today. (89 degrees outside... "Ajaan Caitlin it's CHILLY!"). Sometimes I imagine a Thai person in cold New Jersey winters. I think it would be their worst version of hell.

Emily and I took a stroll by the river after school. We saw the usual clusters of white cattle munching on grass near the reservoir, and two men at work on a giant 5-foot candlestick (maybe?), carving intricate flower designs and religious scenes into the orange wax. I suspect it was also for Buddhist Lent, which is next week and for which we have a 4-day weekend this weekend. Nicole, Anna and I are planning a trip to Vientiane.... I would tell you more about our plans here, but I'm worried about jinxing them. Travel planning is way hard in Asia, and we are counting on some fortuitous bus schedules and friendly people along the way.

The weekend rain caused the river to swell a few feet, and the current has been incredibly strong the past few days. Some students were even absent from school yesterday because their homes had flooded and they were doing damage control with their families. Despite the conditions, the crew teams were out practicing this afternoon. Nan is known for its annual long-boat races, which take place in major river towns all over Thailand in late September/October. Teams have been out on the water every day for a few weeks, practicing into the night. I'm really excited to see the races, and for the festivities that accompany them... See Wikipedia pic below.



Now it sounds like neighbor man has invited others up for karaoke. This woman's voice is even worse than his... and it sounds like she's had a few too many Changs this evening....

Time to find my headphones. Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment