Friday, July 9, 2010

Yes I Can!

One of my students in 6/1, Flook, keeps writing the same message on everything he turns it lately: "You can see me."

The first time, it was scrawled across the top of a homework assignment, in his slanty, pointed, crowded handwriting. The next time, it showed up on his unit test; then on a class worksheet, then on another homework assignment... Needless to say, I'm a little creeped out. It doesn't help that Flook is a bit of an odd-looking kid: he's very scrawny, has kind of an strangely rectangular-shaped head, squirrely mannerisms, and a frog-like voice (I'm just being descriptive here).Today when I saw the "You can see me" message again on his spelling quiz, this time with robot-man doodles around it, I decided to reply. In my red correction pen, I drew an arrow and wrote: "Yes I can!" If that doesn't put an end to it, Anna has suggested I come into class wearing lazer goggles and stare at Flook the whole class period. THAT should do definitely do the trick.

In other news, my computer charger broke this week. Totally my fault: I dropped the heavy adapter piece off the edge of my desk by accident, and as soon as saw a spark and then heard something rattling around inside, I knew it was a gonner. Anyways, it means I have about an hour of computer time a day outside of school, when Aj. Emily kindly lets me charge with hers in the office. (I'm currently at 39% battery - type type type!). As frustrating and expensive as purchasing a new charger online was, it's actually been a relief to have so much free time in the afternoons. I mean, really free. I already don't get TV here - Hulu and sites like abc.com won't stream internationally, and even iTunes has new rules against making purchases outside the U.S. And this week, not having internet, my iTunes music, or even the New York Times online in the evening, I've been doing far more interesting and productive things.

Anna and I decided it's time to crack down on our Thai lessons. I mean, we've been over a month and all I can really say is "hello," "thank you," numbers and a handful of food words. Oh, and the word for "to go" (as in, "I'll take that pad thai to go. Kahp koon ka!"). Pretty pathetic. Our PiA friends in Chiang Mai, despite living in a city full of farang, seemed to have progressed much further than us in their Thai, and they inspired me to sit down with my Thai language book, start by memorizing the "alphabet," and get to practicing conversation on the streets. Opportunities are ample: hardly anyone, including most teachers at school, is able to speak English to us. So, I've just returned from the store where I bought flashcards and a school notebook. Thai language, here I come.

This week, I've also been going to bed a lot earlier and, finally taking Anna up on her invitation, getting up 5:30 to do yoga videos with her in her room. As soon as we find an extension cord for her laptop, I'd love to move our sessions out onto the outdoor patio. It seems like early morning is the only midly cool time of day here (and by mildly cool, I mean 80 degrees). In the rest of my free time, I've finished an entire audiobook (Eat, Pray, Love... eh), started another (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance), listened to all kinds of NPR podcasts and history lectures on my iPod (is it just me, or does being out of college suddenly make you starving for more knowledge?), rode my bike around town a while after school, discovered new treats at the morning market, and came up with a pretty great extra credit project for 6/1. Man, I didn't realize how much time my computer was sucking away from me. (But I can't lie: it will be nice when that charger finally arrives next week... or the week after....)

Oh, and the best part of my week? Aj. Prakop was so impressed with a group of my students' performance of "Wavin' Flag" in the 6/1 singing competition last week, she had the entire class learn the song and dance, and perform it for the whole school at morning assembly on Tuesday. She asked me to lead the kids onto stage. I was pretty proud of them.

31%. Must....conserve....battery.......

No comments:

Post a Comment