Monday, June 7, 2010

Ajarn Cait-Lin

Never has the need for extra-strength deodorant been greater. It is sweltering hot, humid, and muggy all day long. I could shower 4 times a day and it would still not be enough.

Needless to say, I was not looking my finest on the first day of school. Emily, Anna, Nicole and I biked over to Bandon Sriserm around 7:30am, our nice new teacher clothes drenched in sweat already. We passed through the front gates in a single file line on matching bicycles, waving hello to students, wearing sunglasses and brightly colored skirts and tops... a sharp contrast to the other teachers, who on Mondays wear outfits that look similar to service khaki uniforms in the Navy. We met Aj. Prakop in the office upstairs, and she showed us to some instant coffee and toast with butter, which evidently was bought just for us....most Thais don't eat "breakfast foods" in the morning. She then handed us some folders and told us what grade levels we will be teaching.

[Rewind to a few hours earlier: As I was getting ready for work this morning, I Skyped home to talk with Spaige, Mom and Dad. When I told them I was about to find out what grade levels I was going to teach, they agreed that "6th or Kindergarden would be the toughest...."]

....I am teaching 16 classes of 6th graders and Kindergardeners! And I am actually thrilled. Shout out to Jackie Thomas, whose shoes I am literally filling this year (she taught K and 6 at Bandon Sriserm last year, and had only wonderful things to say about the kids.... I think I am also living in her former room... the one with the washing machine in it, yes?). I met two of the 6th grade classes today, and these kids are extremely respectful, enthusiastic, and so darn cute. Many Thai kids have English nicknames, which are sometimes just English words. For example, in my 6/1 class, I have "Job," "Bamboo," "Jame" (he forgot the "s"), and "Donut." (Another shout out, to the Live Week Crew: if we ever need to nickname someone again, I will have a reservoir of amusing ones to choose from by the end of the semester).

The new staff of the English Dept. at Bandon Sriserm

It is actually Week 4 of the semester for the students, so we are jumping into this a little late. Each of us has a Thai co-teacher, who sort of mills in and out of the room throughout the class period, helping to give instructions and keep the class managed... (I lucked out: mine is Aj. Prakop!) Anna is teaching 2nd grade; Emily is teaching 1st and 3rd; and Nicole has 4th and 5th. Some classes we see for 5-6 hours a week (every day), and others we see only once a week (it depends on how much tuition the student's family pays).... so even though all of my 6th graders are the same age, they are at vastly different proficiencies in English. 6/1 (the advanced class) speaks English VERY well... I spent an entire hour with them just asking questions (What is your favorite fruit? What do you do in your free time?) and then letting them ask me questions about myself and America (Where do you come from? Do you like spicy food?). The classes know to say "Hello" "Good Morning" "Nice to meet you" and "Thank You Ajarn Caitlin" in unison. In contrast to American classrooms, the students wait for the teacher to leave the room at the end of class before they get up and go. I haven't met the Kindergarden classes yet, but will probably start with them next week.

Before we started in the classrooms this morning, we were asked to introduce ourselves at the school's outdoor assembly. Over a microphone to the entire school (of roughly 1,000 students), we each stood up and said our names, our home states, and which classes we'd be teaching. When a grade was called out, the kids cheered loudly and waved up to the stage.

Morning assemblage
Next, we met with the school's director, Mr. Sukda (Thais go by their first name instead of surname... which is why I am "Ajarn Caitlin"). We took off our shoes outside his office, Y-ed him, and sat down at the table where we were each given trays of coffee, water, and cut-up jelly donuts. The director is a somewhat formal man, and speaks very little English... I noticed he had written out a script in front of him. He explained the history of his school and the English program, and asked a little about ourselves. When we got on the topic of food (it's everywhere!), he said that we would surely all become chubbier by the end of the year. While explaining this, he pointed to Emily and said "You... are very slender," then to me, "You.. not so much." (Things to note: Thais tell it like it is when it comes to appearance!).

We are given free lunch every day in the canteen at school. All of the teachers eat together, and today we were given seats at a table with Mr. Sudka - a sign of respect, it seemed.

In the afternoon after school, Prakop came by the apartment (this has sort of become routine... we don't always know where she's taking us, just that we should be sitting out on the patio at a certain time). The excursion today was the best yet.... we biked about 8 km total (roughly 5 miles) around the Nan River and over into the neighboring district, both of which were even more gorgeous than anything we'd seen so far. We visited the most famous temple in Nan, where we observed "novice" monks (young boys in training) reciting chants and meditations. Along the roadside, there were miniature chickens, roosters, oxen, and endless fields of green. On the way back home, we stopped at a gift shop and picked up some goodies... then to a nice waterfront dinner at a place called "Terrace." Prakop, once again, ordered for us. Where would we be without this wonderful woman?

Other things of note:
1. instead of self-tanning creams, many Thais use whitening lotions and body washes. Important to remember when shopping for facial cleanser.
2. There appears to be no age cut-off for operating a motorbike in Thailand (and motorbikes far outnumber cars here). I'm pretty sure I saw an 8-year-old driving one today.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, you have my old room, and you even have my old desk! But you have Pam's old students and they are fantastic - you're going to have such a great year! And kindergarten is probably the easiest to teach, I swear - don't sweat it at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you have your own shoes? Why are you taking Jackie's?

    ReplyDelete