Monday, June 14, 2010

Just Like a Wavin' Flag

Monday, Monday.

Most importantly: happy birthday Jennifer! There's a present for you here, and it will make its way to California once I find Nan's post office.

Aj. Prakop came by my desk this morning with an assignment: she plopped a stack of English language newspapers and magazines on my desk (the Bangkok Post translated, Highlights magazine), and asked if I would help her make a World Cup display on the 6th grade bulletin board. I cut out pictures and headlines, the scores from the past weekend's matches, and selected some World Cup "vocab" words to write out on big cards and staple to the board ("striker," "South Africa," "coach," "midfielder," "trophy"...). Aj. Prakop rarely makes suggestions for my classes, but today she asked me to quiz my 6/1 class on teams in the World Cup, which country is hosting the World Cup, and which teams were their favorites. Evidently, AP has decided that the World Cup is the perfect opportunity to get kids speaking English. It worked well enough, although I learned that none of my kids are rooting for USA... they are partial to Brazil, Spain and Argentina.

I am constantly amused by AP and her free-spirited outlook on teaching English, especially as I am learning to conduct myself properly in a very traditional and modest culture. Although I've never really seen Prakop teaching in her own classes, and in mine she keeps to herself at the back desk or next door in the office, it's clear from our conversations that she wants English class to be the best part of these kids' days at school - that it should be 90 percent fun, 10 percent other stuff. She is always emphasizing playing games or just getting into conversations with my students. She has never asked me to stick to a strict lesson plan, doesn't seem concerned with the constraints of each Unit's curriculum, and never takes anything in the classroom too seriously. That said, she is truly dedicated to and passionate about this program; I can tell she spends every waking moment of her day thinking about the next day or next week's classes.

Anna had a rough day at school today. Her Thai co-teacher Anne (who comes in close second place for most awesome teacher at Bandon Sriserm) was absent, so Anna was in charge of 2nd grade classroom management all on her own - and it fell to pieces quickly. Listening to her day, I realize I haven't yet had one of those "Holy-crap-get-me-out-of-here" teaching moments, and that I've probably been taking my calm well-mannered 6th graders for granted. I know that a day of hell will arrive soon enough (especially since my first day of teaching Kindergarden is Wednesday), and I suppose it's good to remind myself that this job won't be all adorable-kid-moments and Prakop-inspired-teaching.

I had my first experience with Thai healthcare today. After school Aj. Prakop took us to the doctor's clinic in town to get checked out for our work permit applications... Had a brief convo with a Thai doctor, showed my passport, had my heart listened to with a stethoscope, and 30 baht ($1) later, we were outta there. Easy enough.

Another awesome part of my day: after the World Cup "quiz," all of my kids were singing the K'naan Waving Flag song to themselves. Brings me right back.

Ah, RAIN! It visits about once a day, and literally: when it rains, it pours. I can hear thunder, the window shutters banging against the panes outside, and heavy sheets of rain hitting the roof right now....

...It will put me right to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment