Saturday, June 26, 2010

A Cappella

To stick with the topic of food, but on a less disgusting note - here are some new favorite foods:

1. sticky rice with mango. I can't really put into words how good this breakfast dish is. Seriously. Delicious. (and cheap: 15 baht)
2. pineapple chicken fried rice
3. fried eggs! not a new food per se, but if there's one thing I've been missing from America it's hearty breakfast food. Luckily, I've learned this week that there's no shortage of eggs here - they come on anything and everything. And the yolks of the eggs here are bright orange instead of yellow.
4. black rice or bananas in coconut milk - my favorite Thai dessert

I got a package from home this week, so now we know - mail works! And thanks, Mom :) I now have a year's supply of stickers to give out, and all the ClearCare contact solution I could ever want.

In my advanced 6th grade class this week, I assigned a singing competition (which will actually take place next week, and be judged by me and Aj. Prakop). Each student is singing in either a duet or group to a song of their choice. I gave out lyrics to some easy English songs, but only one was well-received: every boy in the class will be singing "Wavin' Flag," the World Cup theme song. When I asked for other suggestions, the girls eagerly shouted for me to bring lyrics to "A Whole New World" (from Aladdin), "Love Story" (Taylor Swift), and "At the Beginning With You" (from Anastasia). I followed through with their requests, and the next day, everyone was happy and eager to begin practicing their song.

I have 3 requirements for every group: 1) learn the lyrics by heart, 2) have accompanying dance moves or action with the song (that one's mostly for me) and 3) think of a group name (the Wavin' Flag boys have already come up with one they're very proud of: "Tattoo Colors" ?). Costumes are optional. I probably would have hated my 6th grade teacher if she gave me this assignment... but I've never seen the kids so excited. Every day when I walked into class this week, iPod speakers in hand, they would shout "Ajaan, ajaan! Practice songs, practice songs!" For the last 20 minutes of class I let them break up into their performance groups and rehearse. Since I only have one set of speakers and one iPod to bring in, "rehearsals" often involved me singing songs a cappella over and over so that they can hear the rhythm and how some of the words sound. I may have confused them even more. We'll see how this goes.

The Kindergartners now recognize me outside of class... When I walk past them at lunch or after school, I am instantly flanked by a mass of 5-year-olds shouting various butchered versions of my name. They love to pet my skirt and hang from my arms with sticky ice-cream covered hands. Gross and cute, all at the same time.

On Thursday, we were asked to attend the teacher's faculty meeting "to receive bo-kett." We sat at the meeting, listened to a teacher give a lengthy introduction in Thai, and then were presented with bouquets of roses along with the other 6 or 7 other new Thai teachers at Bandon Sriserm School. We each said a few words to the staff about how grateful we were to be teaching at their school this year. Then the Director stood and made some creepy comment in broken English about how he thinks we are very beautiful, especially compared to his other teachers. The teachers all cackled, we sort of smiled, and then took our seats again. Just another one of those awkward moments we encounter with this man on a daily basis.

Yesterday marked 3 weeks in Thailand. WHOA. Weekend updates to follow!

- CP

No comments:

Post a Comment